We founded GrappleHook Games in 2014, but we have been working on games together since 2012. We started working together in a Game Design Algorithms class at Northeastern University. The game produced in that course became SquadHero, a bullet hell game played with the guitar controller. SquadHero played very well to a crowd, and seemed to be the popular kid at all of the showcases.
We developed the name GrappleHook Games in 2013 so we would have a brand to put on the games we make. We enjoyed working together, so we continued working on other projects and eventually decided to make it official: we formed a company. After bolstering our team with some incredibly talented individuals, we set out to release our first title,
Buzz Breakers Crater Kings Skorecery.
- SquadHero: Revolver - A guitar-controller-powered arcade sh'mup.
- Rune Daddies - An alternative 2D fighter.
- Cupid Kerfuffle - A JackBox-inspired match-making cupid simulator.
- Buzz Breakers - A minimalist sports-like that would later become Crater Kings and then Skorecery.
- Skorecery - A mystical multiplayer sports-like.
Skorecery Trailer — YouTube
Skorecery Beta Demo Overview — YouTube
Crater Kings Quick Look — YouTube
SquadHero BFIG Gameplay — YouTube
SquadHero Teaser Trailer — YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of the Shield Student Achievement Award" Boston Festival of Indie Games, 14 September, 2013
- "Recipient of Best Overall Game" Northeastern University Game Demo Day, 23 April, 2015
- "Nomination for Multiplayer and Connected Gameplay." Boston Festival of Indie Games, 10 September, 2016
- SquadHero BFIG Innovation Aware
- Northeastern University celebrating our victory web.northeastern.edu.